John Dives appears for clients in the Superior Courts of the Province of British Columbia and in administrative hearings and arbitrations on a broad range of matters.
These include general and corporate and commercial litigation, tax litigation, defamation; wrongful dismissal, substantial personal injury suits, and insurance litigation.
John has presented numerous seminars, to both the legal profession and industry groups, on matters such as insuring environmental risks, claims by innocent co-insureds, defense of medical malpractice claims, cross-examination of experts, and assessment of damages.
In the area of securities law, John has advised clients from a litigation perspective with respect to prospectus issues, hostile takeovers, and “poison pill” defenses.
Examples of John’s work include:
- Appearing before the British Columbia Gaming Commission regarding discipline proceedings against a casino
- The successful defense of an Appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada regarding gender bias issues in damage awards
- Acting as British Columbia counsel in international class-action litigation
- Conducting a complex accounting arbitration pursuant to a commercial sale agreement
- and Defending complex defamation suits arising in the health care context.
John’s services have also been retained by other law firms and he has been instrumental in the successful defense of several law firms in solicitors’ negligence actions.
John’s clients have included:
- Jim Pattison Industries Ltd.
- British Columbia Sugar Refining Co. Ltd.
- the Health Care Protection Program
- and Nesbitt Burns.
John has also represented Eurocan Pulp and Paper Co., Trelleborg BV, Boliden Ltd., Servier Canada, and the Law Society of British Columbia.
John has also served as a guest lecturer at the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law and has lectured on civil procedure to articled students as part of the education program administered by the Law Society of British Columbia.
John has been listed as recommended counsel for corporate and commercial litigation, insurance litigation, and personal injury litigation in LEXPERT, an independent publication which rates lawyers based on assessments by leading practitioners in their area of practice.
- Ll.B., University of British Columbia, 1977
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 1978